EndNote allows users to search, retrieve and store citations from bibliographic databases such as ABI Inform, the Web of Science, Anthropological Literature, the MLA bibliography, or the catalogs of individual libraries. It can generate bibliographies, reading lists, and footnotes in a wide variety of styles, and because it links directly to word-processing programs such as Microsoft Word and Wordperfect, the software enables users to add and format citations to papers as they write.
The Columbia University Libraries purchased an EndNote site license for the Columbia community. You can download the program for free.
Please note that support for EndNote is provided by the Libraries. Please read their website for further information.
Download and Installation
(Current faculty, staff, and students of Columbia University and its affiliates are eligible to download.)
- Download the installer (required UNI login):
Note: The Mac installers come with the manual.
EndNote X7 for Windows (80 MB)
Necessary License.dat file for installing EndNote X7 for Windows (1 KB)
EndNote X7 for MacOS X 10.6 and later (80 MB)
- Save the installer to your hard drive, and make a note of the folder that you saved it in.
- After saving BOTH the installer and License.dat files to a temporary folder,
- From that temporary folder, run ENX7Inst.msi. NOTE: You must have both the installer and the license file in this folder for the install to work!
- Accept all default settings and, if prompted, agree to the terms of the license.
- If it does not open automatically, double click on the downloaded EndNote_X7_Site_Installer.dmg file.
- An installer will appear on your desktop.
- Drag the EndNote folder to your Applications folder in your Hard Drive. It may take a couple of minutes for the files to copy completely.
- The first time you click on the EndNote icon in its folder in Applications, you will be walked through a setup process. Accept the default settings and agree to the terms of license.
Upgrading from a Previous Version
While it is not required, it is best to uninstall older versions of EndNote before you install a new one. Before you begin, be sure to back up custom styles, filters, connection files and databases.
- Windows: Uninstall your older EndNote by going to Start -> Programs -> EndNote -> Uninstall EndNote. Any filters or styles you may have created under a new name will be saved in the appropriate folders of the older version, which will otherwise be empty. You can put them into the appropriate folders of your newly installed version.
- Macintosh: Uninstall your older EndNote versions by opening EndNote, going to the EndNote menu, selecting "Customizer" and then "Uninstall." Be sure to pull out any filters or styles you may have created or edited before you drag the EndNote folder to the trash. You can put them back in the appropriate folders of your new installed EndNote program.
The EndNote Help file is available from the Help menu. Many dialogs also include context-sensitive help from a Help button. Context-sensitive help for individual dialogs and their functions can be accessed by clicking the ? button on EndNote's main toolbar.