Using Fugu: The Basics
Making a Connection
- Enter cunix.cc.columbia.edu in the Connect to field.
- Enter your UNI in the Username field.
- Leave the Port field blank.
- Entering something in the Directory field is optional. If you want to connect directly to your public_html directory to upload a Web page, you could fill in public_html here.
- You may add this information to your list of Favorites by clicking the Add to Favorites button. If you do this, you'll be able to select it subsequently from drop-down menu of Favorites located at the bottom left of the screen, indicated by the globe icon. Editing Favorites is done in Fugu's Preferences panel.
- Click the Connect button.
- Supply your password when prompted and click the Authenticate button.
Uploading Files and Folders
Uploading means copying a file from your local computer (the left-hand pane on the Fugu screen) to the remote computer (the right-hand pane on the Fugu screen).
To upload a file or folder from your local computer to the remote computer, drag the items you want to upload from the local pane to the remote pane.
Downloading means copying a file from the remote computer (the right-hand pane on the Fugu screen) to your local computer (the left-hand pane on the Fugu screen).
To download a file from the remote computer to your local computer, drag it from the remote pane to the local pane.
The SFTP function that Fugu uses does not support the downloading of folders directly. If you try to download a folder, you will see an error message offering to use SCP (Secure Copy) instead.
- Say yes by clicking the Download button.
- A Secure Copy File dialog box will appear, with the item you selected to copy and the location to which you dragged it already filled in, relieving you of the necessity of knowing how to specify file paths properly in both UNIX and on your Mac. The Download from Remote Host radio button will already be selected for you as well. All you have to do is click the Secure Copy button.
- Enter your password when prompted and click Authenticate.
- Double-click on an item to show its contents.
- To move up a level, click on the up-arrow to the right of the drop-down menu listing your current location.
- To move to a folder inthe path of your current location, select the desired location from the drop-down menu listing your current location.
- Fugu also has folder histories for both the Local and Remote panes, storing the last 20 places you've been. Click the appropriate History button in the Toolbar (Local on the left, Remote on the right) and select the desired location from the list that pops up.
Deleting Files and Folders
|To delete an item, select it and either press the Delete key on your keyboard or click the Delete button in the Toolbar.|
Renaming Files and Folders
To rename an item, control-click on it and select Rename from the contextual menu that pops up. Fugu will select the name of the item and make it editable. Press Return on your keyboard after you've typed a new name.
File or Folder Information and Permissions
|To see information about an item, select it and click the Info button in the Toolbar or choose Get Info from the SFTP menu.|
You can edit any Favorites you've set up by selecting Preferences from the Fugu menu. Click the Favorites tab.
- To add a new favorite, click the + button.
- To delete a favorite, slect the one you want to delete and click the - button.
- To change an existing favorite, double-click on the part of the favorite you want to change, e.g. Nickname, Host, User, or Directory, and edit the text. The press Return. The screen shot shows the user ready to edit the nickname for the www.columbia.edu favorite.
Note on SCP and SSH Tunneling
Fugu is also capable of doing SCP and creating an SSH tunnel. These options are currently unsupported by CUIT. You should not try to use them unless you understand them fully. Further information on these unsupported features is available by selecting Fugu README from the Help menu.
Fugu is © 2003 The Regents of the University of Michigan. All rights reserved. Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies and that both copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name of The University of Michigan not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission. This software is supplied as is without expressed or implied warranties of any kind.