Columbia U Secure Wireless Network
In recent years, CUIT launched a new UNI-authenticated wireless network at Morningside and Manhattanville.
The new network adds increased security for data and email for all Morningside students, faculty and staff. It provides encryption for all online interactions that are not otherwise encrypted.
Currently, only those transactions that are protected by other means of SSL authentication, such as SSOL or PAC logins, are encrypted. Columbia U Secure wireless means that all data, including that which is currently not encrypted, will be sent over a secure connection to the wireless access point. This means any general web browsing (HTTP), instant messaging or similar messages sent via the authenticated network will be protected against potential wireless eavesdroppers. The Columbia U Secure network also eliminates the need to use the VPN while on campus in order to access Columbia administrative resources.
To use the new network:
- Visit the Wireless Client Configuration Site to download the configuration client
- Follow the step-by-step instructions in the configuration wizard
- From campus wireless access points, you will now be able to log in to Columbia U Secure.
- The following operating systems and/or devices are supported:
- Microsoft Windows (7 and up)
- Mac OSX (10.5.x and up)
- Ubuntu Linux (9.04, 9.10, 10.04, 10.10)
- Apple iOS (iPhone, iPad)
Campus visitors will still be able to access the current un-authenticated Columbia University wireless network.