Remote Device Troubleshooting Software
Also known as BeyondTrust Remote Support, formerly known as Bomgar.
The BeyondTrust Remote Support software tool enables remote viewing and operation of a customer’s computer and is primarily used by the CUIT Service Desk and other support groups at Columbia University for troubleshooting and for training purposes. BeyondTrust Remote Support allows the technician to take control of a customer’s computer remotely, allowing them to view exactly what is happening and expedite solutions.
BeyondTrust Installation Instructions
To install BeyondTrust on your computer, you must first arrange with CUIT to have an account ID. If you have not done this already, you can submit a ticket to the CUIT Service Desk.
Once you have logged in, click on the drop down menu to choose your platform (Windows, Macintosh, Linux).
Click on the link that says Download BeyondTrust Representative Console. You will see a box asking you to save beyondtrust-rep-installer.exe. Click on the box and then click on Save File.
Locate the installer file and double click on it to launch the Console Setup. On the Welcome to the BeyondTrust Representative Console Setup Wizard screen, click Next.
Accept the Terms of Agreement and click Next.
Choose to install the application "Only for me" and click Next.
Choose the suggested Destination Folder and click Install.
Uncheck the "Run at Startup" box and click Finish.
If your customer is running macOS Catalina
Apple has moved towards a restrictive method that requires explicit permission to allow applications to capture the screen in macOS Catalina. Follow these steps to enable screen sharing with Apple's Catalina operating system:
- Start a session through a public site or jump client.
- Begin screen sharing from the Rep Console or Access Console application.
- If you see a warning during the screen share - indicated in the orange area in the below screenshot, then have the end client/user follow the "For Customers" directions below.
- Answer the macOS prompt by selecting Open System Preferences. Alternatively, you can manually navigate from Finder to System Preferences, then select Security & Privacy, then choose Screen Recording.
- Check the checkbox that corresponds to the BeyondTrust application.
- Screen sharing should now start working immediately. BeyondTrust is now whitelisted so screen sharing will be allowed for future Remote Support and Privileged Remote Access sessions in Catalina.
Apple has moved towards a restrictive method that requires explicit permission to allow applications to have access to certain file system paths in macOS Catalina, including Desktop, Download and Documents. If this access isn't granted by the customer, the technician will not be able to send or receive files to these location or to browse these locations with the command shell.
For customers: an example prompt
Select OK to allow the technician to continue assisting you.
After you have accepted, you can expect to see the whitelisted BeyondTrust client in your Security & Privacy settings (Privacy tab). This is expected behavior and will allow technicians to be able to assist you in the future without having to go through these steps.
The BeyondTrust Representative Console can be installed on Windows and Macintosh computers, as well as iOS and Android operating systems. It can be used to troubleshoot Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, iPhones, iPads, Androids, and Blackberries.
CUIT manages the licensing and servers. You can purchase licenses for your department for an annual fee of $750 per account ID and $2 per jump client (if used). Please submit a ticket to make a request and we will contact you to begin the process.