Also known as Support Desk or Help Desk.
The CUIT Walk-in Center provides software assistance and hands-on troubleshooting related to CUIT provided software on personal laptops (PC and Mac), handheld devices, and University-issued mobile and ROLM phones. Customers are required to have an eligible Columbia UNI to receive support.
202 Philosophy Hall, 1150 Amsterdam Avenue · New York, NY 10027
Open Monday to Friday from 10am - 6pm
- CUIT-provided software, installation, and troubleshooting
- Installation/configuration of operating system updates and CUIT-provided antivirus software
- Email configuration on your devices (LionMail, Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird)
- Replacement of malfunctioning complete ROLM phones
- Printing of ROLM phone face plates
- Backup of small amounts of personal data (must have personal backup device)
- Moderate virus and spyware issues
- Moderate operating system issues such as slow response and application errors.
- General questions about supported operating systems
- Network connectivity problems (wired and wireless)
- Pawprint help and account upgrades (flex card is required for payment)
- General advice on creating a personal backup
- General advice on reformatting a computer
- SAS software distribution
- Escalating an existing request/incident on behalf of the customer to other CUIT departments or groups
- Password resets and UNI activation assistance
- Multi-Factor Authentication Help (Duo)
- FFE/SIS/Mainframe password resets
- Provide computer and podium keys
Services Walk-in Center is Unequipped to Accommodate
We regret that we are unable to help with the following requests:
- Hardware repairs
- Warranty services of any kind
- Operating System installs or repairs
- Data wiping or purging from personal devices
- Full backups of personal data
- Data retrieval from damaged or malfunctioning devices
- Unlocking or cracking of passwords or devices or operating systems
- Support for non-English operating systems
- Drop-off service (all work requires the presence of the laptop owner)
- Assistance with homework assignments or work assignments
- General support for desktop computers, tablets and/or peripherals such as printers and routers, digital cameras, mobile phones or PDAs (we do help with configurations of CUIT-issued hardware and software)
- Training or tutorials for any Columbia or non-Columbia services or tools
- Re-installation of an operating system for laptops which have been suspended from the Columbia network due to a severe virus or malware infection
Note that during times of high customer volume (at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters) there may be longer wait periods.
Walk-in Center Holiday Closures
- New Year's Break: 12/28/18 @5pm until 1/2/19 @8am
- Martin Luther King Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Election Day
- Thanksgiving: 11/21/18 @5pm until 11/26/18 @8am
- Christmas Break: 12/21/18 @5pm until 12/26/18 @8am
Please check back for other days and weekends associated with each holiday as they approach. You can also check the Columbia University holiday calendar for specific holiday closure dates.
Yes, to prevent loss of personal data, please backup your devices, particularly for virus removal services.
We provide replacement Rolm phones.
The Walk-In Center technicians can help you run a virus scan.
People who have an appointment should not expect to wait too long for their appointment. Most wait times are not longer than 5 minutes. During peak times, your wait might increase.
Please bring your Columbia University ID or another government-issued form of identification.