Most issues can be resolved without an in-person appointment by contacting the CUIT Service Desk. To do that, please submit a ticket, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-854-1919.
If your computing issue needs to be handled in-person, please schedule an appointment at the Walk-in Center.
Also known as Support Desk or Help Desk.
The CUIT Walk-in Center provides software assistance and hands-on troubleshooting related to CUIT provided software on personal laptops (PC and Mac), handheld devices, and University-issued mobile and ROLM phones. Customers are required to have an eligible Columbia UNI and must schedule an appointment to receive support.
202 Philosophy Hall, 1150 Amsterdam Avenue · New York, NY 10027
Open Monday–Friday from 10:30am–3:30pm by appointment only, following Columbia's social distancing guidelines.
- CUIT-provided software, installation, and troubleshooting
- Installation/configuration of operating system updates and CUIT-provided antivirus software
- Email configuration on your devices (LionMail, Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird)
- Backup of small amounts of personal data (must have personal backup device)
- Moderate virus and spyware issues
- Moderate operating system issues such as slow response and application errors.
- General questions about supported operating systems
- Network connectivity problems (wired and wireless)
- Pawprint help and account upgrades (flex card is required for payment)
- General advice on creating a personal backup
- General advice on reformatting a computer
- Classroom computer and podium keys
Services Walk-in Center is Unequipped to Accommodate
We regret that we are unable to help with the following requests:
- Hardware repairs
- Warranty services of any kind
- Operating system installs or repairs
- Data wiping or purging from personal devices
- Full backups of personal data
- Data retrieval from damaged or malfunctioning devices
- Unlocking or cracking of passwords or devices or operating systems
- Support for non-English operating systems
- Drop-off service (all work requires the presence of the laptop owner)
- Assistance with homework assignments or work assignments
- General support for desktop computers, tablets and/or peripherals such as printers and routers, digital cameras, mobile phones or PDAs (we do help with configurations of CUIT-issued hardware and software)
- Training or tutorials for any Columbia or non-Columbia services or tools
- Re-installation of an operating system for laptops which have been suspended from the Columbia network due to a severe virus or malware infection
Walk-in Center Holiday Closures
- New Year's Break
- Martin Luther King Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Election Day
- Christmas Break
Please check back for other days and weekends associated with each holiday as they approach. You can also check the Columbia University holiday calendar for specific holiday closure dates.
Yes, to prevent loss of personal data, please backup your devices, particularly for virus removal services.
The Walk-In Center technicians can help you run a virus scan.
Please bring your Columbia University ID or another government-issued form of identification and the ticket number assigned to you when you scheduled the appointment (e.g INC12345678).