Mathematica licenses, under Columbia's discounted pricing agreement with Wolfram, are generally available only to Columbia University faculty and staff.
Clients purchasing Mathematica are responsible for the installation and correct use of the product, as well as understanding hardware and operating system requirements.
How to Obtain Mathematica Licenses
We are no longer selling individual Mathematica licenses at the University Book Store at Lerner Hall. Students can receive Mathematica for free.
Faculty and staff can purchase Mathematica by click here to submit an online request along with an ARC Chartstring for payment.
Pricing for the 2016-17 License Period
1-9 copies - $120 per license
10-19 copies - $110 per license
20-49 copies - $100 per license
50-99 copies - $90 per license
100 or more copies - $75 per license
- One license is the equivalent of either one computer (laptop, desktop) or a single Unix processor.
- The price is fixed and cannot be pro-rated. The software will not run after the license expires.
License Validity Dates
The Mathematica license is valid for a one year period, from November 1 through October 31. Mathematica has a 30 day grace period.
Documentation can be purchased separately through third parties or by visiting wolfram.com.
Mathematica for Students
CUIT is now offering Mathematica to Columbia University students on the Morningside campus and CUMC for free. You will need to request an activation key and a download key.
Mathematica offers free online training sessions.
Please follow this activation key request process:
- Create an account. Visit http://user.wolfram.com and click "Create Account."
- Fill out form using an @columbia.edu email, and click "Create Wolfram ID."
- Check your email and click the link to validate your Wolfram ID.
Request the Download and Key
- Fill out this form to request an Activation Key.
- Click the "Product Summary page" link to access your license.
- Click "Get Downloads" and select "Download" next to your platform.
- Run the installer on your machine, and enter Activation Key at prompt.
Please contact wolfram.com with questions. If they are unable to assist, please submit a ticket to the CUIT Service Desk.