Electronic Classroom AV Tutorials and Guidelines
Any department may use the electronic classrooms for registered, credit classes. CUIT has created short video tutorials explaining how to operate the touch screen panels in the rooms. CUIT has also established general usage guidelines to ensure that the the classroom technology is well-maintained and operational for all users.
Touch Panel Tutorial Videos
Two-minute tutorials that provide an overview of using the touch panels in CUIT's e-rooms.
Most podiums do not require keys, with the exception of those listed below. For these rooms, please pick up the key at the CUIT Walk-in Center, located at 202 Philosophy Hall, unless stated otherwise. The Service Desk is open Monday–Friday between 10am and 6pm.
- 310 Fayerweather
- 702 Hamilton
- 309 Havemeyer slide projector cabinets: Pick-up from Havermeyer department office (Room 344)
- 203, 207 and 312 Mathematics
- 833 Mudd podium
- 301 and 428 Pupin microphone cabinet
- 501 and 614 Schermerhorn slide projector cabinet
- Instructors who reserve an electronic classroom must agree to complete training, before keys will be issued for equipment use. If an instructor has a room reserved for the use of one particular type of equipment, s/he must not attempt to use any of the other equipment without first notifying CUIT staff and being trained.
- An instructor will not allow a teaching assistant (TA) to use the equipment unless they have informed CUIT and the TA undergoes training as well. A professor will be responsible for all actions of his/her designated TA.
- Instructors are issued a key or card swipe access to the locked cabinets containing the multimedia gear. (In the remainder of this document, "key" will also signify card swipe access where appropriate). In addition, an instructor may designate one TA to open and close the room in lieu of himself/herself (you must inform CUIT first).
- An Instructor or TA may not duplicate and/or distribute to unauthorized persons any keys to equipment cabinets/closets.
- When there is a class immediately following another class, it is the responsibility of the instructor or TA of the first class to either lock up equipment or transfer responsibility for the equipment to the next instructor or TA of the second class.
- The keys must be returned to CUIT at the end of the semester unless the same classroom is to be used the following semester in the same academic year. If a key is lost or stolen at anytime, report it immediately to CUIT.
- An instructor or TA may not make use of the equipment outside his class schedule unless he or she informs CUIT staff and follows proper scheduling procedures. Reservation policies and requirements are available through CUIT or the Office of the Registrar.
- No equipment may be removed from the room under any circumstance (except for portable carts, which should not be removed from the designated floor for use and storage). Only CUIT staff assigned responsibility for the room may remove equipment.
- All equipment is physically secured and attached to alarm systems. Please do not attempt to disengage any security systems.
- The instructor or TA is responsible for unlocking the equipment cabinet/closet at the beginning of a class session and locking cabinet/closet at the end. The instructor or TA should also return portable equipment such as rolling carts or remote control units to the cabinet at the end of each class session.
- The electronic gear in these rooms is very sensitive to moisture and foreign substances. The physical spaces have been renovated as well. It is very difficult to replace broken gear in a timely fashion. New carpet and furniture will not be replaced if stained with coffee or other liquids. In an effort to keep these classrooms functional and sound, food and drinks are not allowed in any Electronic Classroom. Instructor support with regards to this policy would be greatly appreciated.
- Sharing keys with anyone besides the designated TA.
- Not properly securing the equipment at the end of class.
- Accessing the equipment for non-instructional purposes or accessing equipment for which one has not received training or without reserving the equipment.
Actions that will be taken in response to violations:
- Violations will be reported to the department Chairperson and the School's respective dean.
- CUIT and the Registrar will review each case and take appropriate action regarding continued room and equipment access.
- Equipment malfunctions or discrepancies must be immediately reported to the CUIT staff.
- Report classroom difficulties such as power outage, light flickers, no chalk, or cleaning to facilities management to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Report network problems to the CUIT Service Desk at 212-854-3633.
- All keys must be returned to the following address after the last class of the semester via campus mail, taped to a sheet of paper with your name on it:
CUIT Service Desk Walk-in Center
202 Philosophy Hall
1150 Amsterdam Avenue